Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April 1, 2014: The Sanctuary of God

Psalm 73:16-17  - When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me, till I entered the sanctuary of God.

In the midst of life circumstances we often seek clarity and perspective to help us deal with the challenges.  The way we naturally seek these things is through our thoughts.  Thinking on a matter until we can understand the situation.

But consider the difference between roads and destinations.  A road leads us to a destination and not the other way around.  If peace and clarity are the destination, then understanding that comes from our thinking is not right road to take.  It becomes oppressive to us.

We cannot think ourselves into a lifestyle of faith.  We cannot rationalize peace into our lives.  We need to take a different road.  And the psalmist has discovered it.  It was when he abandoned the road that leads to understanding to take the road that leads to the sanctuary of God that he found relief.

I would call the sanctuary of God the presence of God because it is the place where God dwells.  It is when we stop seeking understanding that I can find peace in His presence.    I can find everlasting joy and freedom.

Then the very thing that was troubling to me no longer has power over me.  Though I may not have understanding I have a peace that surpasses understanding.  To worship God in the middle of confusion is to take the road that leads to his presence, to his sanctuary.  It takes me of the road that leads to oppression and puts me on the road that leads to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment